Transforming lives to their fullest capacity for physical, emotional, spiritual, social, and intellectual well-being.
About Clergy Renewal Week
- Purpose: Provide a vacation respite, a gift of inspiration, fun and rejuvenation for clergy.
- Where: the Chautauqua Institution on beautiful Lake Chautauqua in western New York
- When: Week 6 of the Chautauqua Institution’s summer season (usually end of July-early August) chq.org/season weeks/calendar
- Eligibility: Ordained clergy and spouse active in a congregation; priority given to those who will be visiting the Chautauqua Institution for the first time and to those who are currently serving as pastor of a congregation.
- Apply here: Application form.
- Accommodations: Complimentary, private bedroom and bath for two in an IOKDS residential house located in the Chautauqua Institution’s historical district; shared kitchen, parlor, and front porch with other clergy/spouse participants. Houses require ability to climb stairs independently for main entrance and bedroom access. Check Iokds.org/vacation@CHQ for house photos. Amenities include individually controlled bedroom air conditioning, all bed and bath linens, free WiFi, laundry facilities, a short walk to a free shuttle bus around the Chautauqua grounds.
- Meals: IOKDS provides breakfast foods for self-service in your fully equipped house kitchen. We also provide the majority of group, evening dinners prepared by IOKDS volunteers in the lower level Fellowship Hall of our interdenominational chapel on the Chautauqua grounds near our houses. You are free to prepare your own lunch/dinner in the house kitchen or buy meals at several venues on the Chautauqua grounds.
- IOKDS host/hostess: You will be greeted by one of our members on site to help orient you to the Chautauqua grounds and program. They will be available all week for any questions or assistance needed. Previous participants characterize our hosting as being “pampered.” You deserve it. The only planned Clergy Renewal group meeting is Saturday late afternoon participant introductions and emergency/safety procedures review.
- Chautauqua Gate pass expense: Chautauqua Gate Passes are required to enter and overnight in residence on the Chautauqua grounds. In partnership with us, the Chautauqua Institution’s Department of Religion offers each Clergy Renewal pastor a free gate pass for admission to most Chautauqua programs. Spouses are responsible for their own pass expense.
- Personal expenses: Round-trip transportation, Chautauqua car parking, spouse gate pass, (chq.org/gate pass ticket/parking) and meals as described.
Get In Touch
Personal contact information is used only for the sole purpose of receiving official correspondence from IOKDS staff or Board of Directors. Our membership data base is not shared with any other group or organization.
“It is the ultimate luxury to combine passion and contribution. It’s also a very clear path to happiness.”