International Order of The King’s Daughters and Sons
34 Vincent Ave, Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY 14722
Learn & Discern Internship Program
Hospitality/Event Management Summer Internship
Goal: Develop nonprofit’s guest relations program for affordable housing on the Chautauqua Institution grounds in western New York.
- Assist House Host with personal welcome and orientation resources needed for exceptional vacation experience on guest arrival day for three houses and 17 bedrooms.
- Initiate formal customer feedback with recommendations to Board of Directors.
- Identify service recovery strategies that satisfy guests and prevent problems from occurring again.
- Develop marketing plan for Chapel/Fellowship Hall rental or community use.
- Support volunteer leaders in marketing and implementing Celebration 2021 event plans.
Internship Program and Place
The International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons (iokds.org) is an all-denominational, Christian service organization whose mission includes spiritual and career discernment and development of young adults at the Chautauqua Institution.
The Chautauqua Institution (chq.org), NY, is a festival for the mind, body, and spirit where we listen, learn, and lead. Over 100,000 people make up this summer community of curious minds and open hearts. David McCullough, renowned historian author, describes Chautauqua saying, “There is no place like it. It is at once a summer encampment and a small town, a college campus, an arts colony, a music festival, a religious retreat and the village square.”
IOKDS, and Chautauqua believe deeply in the value of life-long learning and holistic development of individuals.
Live in the culturally rich environment of the Chautauqua Institution with many “off-hours” opportunities to engage in recreation, entertainment, the arts, and religion. It’s a “workation!”
If you are interested in making a difference in the nonprofit world, this internship will offer you a sense of inter-generational community like no other. If you are a team player, this internship provides you opportunities to collaborate with volunteers and other interns. If you have diverse interests and can see yourself jumping in to learn and discern, this internship is for you. Check out our IOKDS Learn & Discern YouTube video https://www.youtube.com IOKDS Chautauqua
Who are we looking for?
- Individuals passionate about learning while serving others
- Undergraduate having completed a minimum of one upper level course in their career field such as hospitality/hotel management, event planning, business administration, strategic communication &/or religious studies.
- IT management skills Microsoft, Excel, Power Point, and Internet
Details about the role
- 180 hours total beginning June 14, 2021.
- 30 hours/wk. Flexibility of daily schedule
- June 14 – June 18 Virtual Orientation (Zoom Conferencing)
- Unpaid; however, Chautauqua Institution gate pass to most events, housing, and food allowance are provided (a $3800 value). Upon completion of internship, opportunity to apply for a $1000 scholarship award.
- Informal access to network with business professionals, executives, and clergy on the Chautauqua Institution grounds
- Opportunity to gain academic credit from your college/university with weekly, mentored career development seminars provided by IOKDS.
- Additional educational components include: 1) Attend four morning lectures given at the Chautauqua Institution’s national platform or the Department of Religion’s afternoon lecture and write a reflection of the lecture; 2) Meet with organization’s staff person/treasurer to understand the income statement, the balance sheet, and the cash flow statement; 3) Interview one member of the Chautauqua Institution’s Atheneum Hotel management staff with prepared questions; written summary of interview; 4) Develop and present a PowerPoint about your internship accomplishments for a group of IOKDS supervisors and officers.
It’s best to apply today! (No later than May 1, 2021)
- Submit cover email telling us what you can offer and what you want to gain with your resume.
- If completing internship for academic credit, send a goals and objectives statement, so we can make sure this opportunity aligns with your requirements.