International Order of The King’s Daughters and Sons
34 Vincent Ave, Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY 14722
Learn & Discern Internship Program
Internship Program and Place
The International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons (IOKDS.org) is a nondenominational, Christian service organization whose mission includes spiritual and career discernment and development of young adults at the Chautauqua Institution.
The Chautauqua Institution (Chq.org), NY, is a festival for the mind, body, and spirit where we listen, learn, and lead. Over 100,000 people make up this summer community of curious minds and open hearts. David McCullough, renowned historian author, describes Chautauqua saying, “There is no place like it. It is at once a summer encampment and a small town, a college campus, an arts colony, a music festival, a religious retreat and the village square.”
IOKDS, and Chautauqua believe deeply in the value of life-long learning and holistic development of individuals.
Live in the culturally rich environment of the Chautauqua Institution with many “off-hours” opportunities to engage in recreation, entertainment, the arts, and religion. It’s a “workation!”
If you are interested in making a difference in the nonprofit world, this internship will offer you a sense of inter-generational community like no other. If you are a team player, this internship provides you opportunities to collaborate with volunteers and other interns. If you have diverse interests and can see yourself jumping in to learn and discern, this internship is for you
Likely projects could include… (Project responsibilities vary each year based on intern’s skills and interests as well as nonprofit needs.)
• Generate new guest relationships within the Chautauqua Community and adjacent geographic areas of tourism.
• Gather and utilize guest feedback to improve guest loyalty.
• Event and guest house support within the IOKDS community.
• Identify service recovery strategies that satisfy guests and prevent problems from occurring again.
• Create a customer relations management (CRM) database to support staff in a variety of administrative needs
Who are we looking for?
• Individuals passionate about learning while serving others
• Undergraduate having completed a minimum of one upper level course in their career field such as hospitality/hotel management, event planning, business administration, strategic communication &/or religious studies.
• IT management skills Microsoft, Excel, Power Point, and Internet
Details about the role
• 120-150 hours total beginning the third week of June 2019.
• 30 hours/wk. Flexibility of daily schedule
• Intern will use his/her own laptop.
• Unpaid; however, Chautauqua Institution gate pass to most events, housing, and food allowance are provided. Upon completion of internship, opportunity to apply for a scholarship award.
• Informal access to network with business professionals, executives, and clergy on the Chautauqua Institution grounds
• Opportunity to gain academic credit from your college/university with weekly, mentored career development seminars provided by IOKDS.
• Additional educational components include: 1) Attend four morning lectures given at the Chautauqua Institution’s national platform or the Department of Religion’s afternoon lecture and write a reflection of the lecture; 2) Meet with organization’s staff person/treasurer to understand the income statement, the balance sheet, and the cash flow statement; 3) Interview one member of the Chautauqua Institution’s Athenium Hotel management staff with prepared questions; written summary of interview.
It’s best to apply today! (No later than May 1, 2019)
• Submit cover email telling us what you can offer and what you want to gain with your resume.
• If completing internship for academic credit, send a goals and objectives statement, so we can make sure this opportunity aligns with your requirements.