Who We Are
Our Values: Faith, Compassionate Caring, Collaboration
IOKDS on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution since 1920
- Founded January 13, 1886, in the New York City home of Margaret Bottome along with her ten friends.
- Vision: Caring for all God’s children
- The silver Maltese cross was chosen as a badge. Those who could not procure a cross pin wore a purple ribbon to proclaim their membership.
2022-2023 International Board
President: Janet Laude, Pennsylvania
Vice President: Sandra Pace, Virginia
Secretary: Bernadette V. Hudnell, Mississippi
Treasurer: Bruce McLelland, Ontario
Around the World Director: Pamela Yarborough, Texas (Board Member 2022 – 2023)
Branch President Representative: Tom Houghton, Kentucky
Chautauqua Housing Director: Nick Turner Lee, South Carolina
Chautauqua Properties Director: John Hilmer, Indiana
Communications Director: Michael Salfi, Ontario
Health Careers Scholarship Director: Linda Hilmer, Indiana (Board Member 2023 – 2024)
Learn and Discern Internship Director: Mark Foglesong, Indiana
Native American Scholarship Director: Louise Maynor, North Carolina (Board Member 2024 – 2025)
Student Ministry Director: Heather Pilkey, Ontario (Board Member 2025 – 2026)
Past International President: Frances Sellew, Virginia
Parliamentarian: Phoebe McLelland, Ontario
Historian: Meredith Houghton, Kentucky
*Note: All Board members, officers, and staff sign a Conflict of Interest certification form annually.
- At the International level, our membership totals around 2,500 members from North America. Our international headquarters are located in western New York at the Chautauqua Institution on Lake Chautauqua. firstname.lastname@example.org
- If there are at least 50 members located in one state or province, the group is organized as a Branch.
- At the local level, a Circle is formed with a group of three or more members.
We embody God’s love transforming lives of all kinds of people of all age and circumstance.
Get In Touch
Personal contact information is used only for the sole purpose of receiving official correspondence from IOKDS staff or Board of Directors. Our membership data base is not shared with any other group or organization.
“It is the ultimate luxury to combine passion and contribution. It’s also a very clear path to happiness.”